Below is another look at a few recent domain flips and flops, with data courtesy of NameBio.
- PinDrop.com sold for 75,000 USD recently in a private transaction, vs 979 USD on 2010-09-09 at SnapNames. Dang…..what an awesome return. Kudos to the seller for having the guts to hold out for nearly 77x. For the buyer, the domain is an upgrade from PindropSecurity.com, and a screenshot is below. “Anti-fraud and Authentication solutions for enterprise call centers.”
- Ohio.org sold for 45,000 USD recently via WebQuest, vs 30,000 USD on 2006-04-11 in a private transaction. Certainly not a great return on an annualized basis, but a profit nonetheless.
- QVJ.com sold for 17,600 USD recently at NameJet, vs 3,967 USD on 2012-06-18 at NameJet.
- GSF.net sold for 5,100 USD recently at GoDaddy, vs 1,411 USD on 2010-12-03 at NameJet.
- ZYBS.com sold for 2,301 USD recently at Sedo, vs 450 USD on 2015-07-26 at GoDaddy. Big return in under 6 months.
- VGAS.com sold for 5,800 USD recently at NameJet, vs 5,400 USD on 2013-05-21 at NameJet. It looks fine until you calculate those commissions, and then you realize you lost nearly $500.
- Pagez.com sold for 2,500 USD recently at Flippa, vs 2,500 USD on 2015-05-05 at Sedo. A break-even deal? Not so fast…..a loss of nearly $400 after commissions.
- MarketPort.com sold for 295 USD recently at GoDaddy, vs 19,000 USD on 2011-08-20 at Sedo. Around a 98% loss.
- CheapNeckties.com sold for 525 USD recently at GoDaddy, vs 9,950 USD on 2013-10-27 at Afternic. Much better than MarketPort above, only a 96% loss!
- Tiips.com sold for 310 USD recently at GoDaddy, vs 3,722 USD on 2009-12-09 at Afternic. Tip #1, typos aren’t what they used to be.
Note: I didn’t do an exhaustive search of the ownership history of each domain. There are likely cases where there were multiple owners between the sales prices I list.
You can find past Flips and Flops posts here.