Below is another look at a few recent domain flips and flops, with data courtesy of NameBio.
- TopBeat.com sold for 4,500 USD on 2015-09-18 at Sedo, vs 450 USD on 2015-06-09 at GoDaddy. Nice 10x return (before commission) in three months. New owner has a Serbia address, but no site resolves.
- NMR.net sold for 4,800 USD on 2015-09-18 at Sedo, 816 USD on 2010-12-03 at NameJet. This must have been an end user, because wholesale for this domain would be $1,xxx in my opinion. Whois shows the domain is still in transfer.
- FDHQ.com sold for 1,100 USD on 2015-09-24 at GoDaddy, vs 105 USD on 2012-09-24 at GoDaddy. 10x on this and another LLLL.com below. Purchased at the going rate for Chinese-friendly letters in LLLL.com…..not the ‘free diving’ or ‘fire department headquarters’ acronym.
- DNZP.com sold for 1,050 USD on 2015-09-23 at Sedo, vs 100 USD on 2008-07-10 at Sedo.
- VTours.com sold for 7,000 USD on 2015-09-17 at Sedo, vs 1,561 USD on 2009-03-23 at NameJet. Virtual tours? Domain is parked and still shows in transfer at Sedo. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it as an upgrade to the developed VTours.de, screenshot below.
- EEEH.com sold for 1,550 USD on 2015-09-24 at Sedo, vs 2,738 USD on 2013-09-25 at GoDaddy.
- V0X.com sold for 1,499 USD on 2015-09-17 at Flippa, vs 2,250 USD on 2015-07-25 at Flippa. LNL.com. This CCC.com and the LLLL.com above are two of the most liquid types of domains, but you still have to buy them at the right price.
- Cupid.io sold for 1,001 USD on 2015-09-21 at Flippa, vs 999 USD on 2015-05-15 at Sedo. A quick flip gone awry. It’s a $2 gain when you look at gross sales prices, but a $100 loss when you factor in commissions. A much bigger loss when you factor in your time.
- ProjectReality.com sold for 510 USD on 2015-09-20 at GoDaddy, vs 3,000 USD on 2013-01-28 at Afternic.
- X-fit.com sold for 370 USD on 2015-09-19 at GoDaddy, vs 4,970 USD on 2011-08-10 at Sedo. If this was intended for a cross fit site, the seller probably learned to (a) drop the hyphen, and (b) “X” doesn’t sound like “cross” for the radio test.
- AffiliateMarketingTips.com sold for 756 USD on 2015-09-18 at NameJet, vs 995 USD on 2008-01-31 at Sedo. These long descriptive domains have seen better days, but they were SEO gold back in the day.
Note: I didn’t do an exhaustive search of the ownership history of each domain. There are likely cases where there were multiple owners between the sales prices I list.
You can find past Flips and Flops posts here.