Domain Spotlight:

How Much Do LLL.coms With a Q in It Sell For?

There is no more flippable name in our industry than LLL.coms.  You can find a buyer in less than 30 minutes for any name, regardless of letter.  Not saying you will make money, just saying you can sell it.  Most domain investors price their LLL.coms based on the quality of letters. And they seem to be SCRABBLE based. When I say SCRABBLE based I mean, the higher the points of the letter in SCRABBLE, the lower the value of the letter in an  Here is the list of points for each letter in SCRABBLE

  • 1 pointE ×12, A ×9, I ×9, O ×8, N ×6, R ×6, T ×6, L ×4, S ×4, U ×4
  • 2 pointsD ×4, G ×3
  • 3 pointsB ×2, C ×2, M ×2, P ×2
  • 4 pointsF ×2, H ×2, V ×2, W ×2, Y ×2
  • 5 pointsK ×1
  • 8 pointsJ ×1, X ×1
  • 10 pointsQ ×1, Z ×1

Q is one of those “bad” letters.  But just because letters aren’t popular in North America doesn’t mean they aren’t wanted in other parts of the world.  Yet they still seem to sell for less.  Or do they?  Here are some of the latest sales (the last 6 months) with those letters.   $4001 $$4544  $4507  $20K   (reported on Namepros but unconfirmed)  $4008  $3603  $4406 $4407 $16,905 $4544  $15,000  $5100  $3450  $6900  $4407  $4302

I’d have to do more real number crunching but my guess is that at this point in time, the bottom price for an is $4000 and any purchased below $4500 is a good buy.  I believe it is a good buy because I think this number will be $5000 in 12 months and to the right buyer (a non domain investor) you could easily double your money.  Again, this is all speculation and opinion but all domain buying is speculation.  The difference is, with these sales numbers you have a better idea of value.  I did this “research” because I recently purchased  I won’t be selling it under $5K because of two reasons.  One, I think M and O are great letters for an acronym and two, I think LLL.coms go up from here.  I’m not scared of a Q.  I like quality and I like quick and you can’t get either without a Q.


Domain Spotlight:

13 Replies to “How Much Do LLL.coms With a Q in It Sell For?”

  1. The position of the Q (as well as the position of the other letters) seems to have a fairly high degree of significance. Namely first or third seems to help and there have been actually some very nice 4L sales where the Q is first or 3rd. Used appropriately it can obviously go anywhere. There’s a nice advanced search option on Namebio for this type of research.
    Nice name and great topic – there’s a lot more art than science but it does help to “count cards” when gambling with domains.

  2. Unlike you I am scared of a Q, or X, Y, Z unless the Y is at the end of the LLL sequence. For one they don’t make great acronyms for business’s or organizations and phonetically difficult if not impossible to pronounce.

    From experience those two reasons alone lose 70% to 80% purchasing interest the remainder 20% to 30% being domainer’s speculative purchase wanting a LLL dot com for the sake of owning a LLL dot com.

    If you look around hard enough you can still find a bargain in the 4K/5K region that excludes most if not all those horrible letters.

  3. LOL and as wise and savvy as the green-grocer or butcher too! I send my premium digital assets to market as the green-grocer or butcher sent their produce and keep the sub-standard trimmings/scraps for myself for personal consumption! 😉

  4. In the 16 examples cited, only two are developed sites. Most of them are just parked. They haven’t been sold to end users. Domainers selling to domainers is just musical chairs, even potentially a bubble (since there are so many new gTLD naming options on the horizon).
    Andrew makes a good point that the position of letters is important.
    The Scrabble analogy is great!

  5. Well, there is a country by letter Q and the above sales figures with a Q in it seems to be great from end user point of view and not from domainers.

Comments are closed.