Richard Kirkendall, CEO of Namecheap. is doing an AMA aka Q and A over at Reddit to celebrate “Move Your Domain Day” a cleverly planned marketing day to get people to move their domains out of Godaddy. Combine that with today’s release of Godaddy’s new Superbowl commercial and it should be pretty good time for NameCheap. From what I heard, everyone seems content with Namecheap and most people I’ve talked to say Kirkendall personally is a good guy. But in my opinion the AMA is going just OK. Not great, not poor, just OK. Here’s why in my opinion.
1. He’s positioning himself as “if you are against Godaddy come here”. I don’t think they would say that out loud but it’s pretty obvious that’s the play. And a good play that is because there are a lot of Godaddy haters out there. Especially today.
2. He has had trouble answering the biggest question. Why should anyone move to Namecheap other than they are against SOPA and support the Electronic Frontier Foundation. Read all the way through and haven’t seen an answer to that question from a few people
3. The consensus is the back end is lacking. They say its going to be changed soon and it will have “your socks knocked off” but I’ve heard that a thousand times over my lifetimes and I still seem to have socks every time
4. Moving over names has been difficult. No automatic DNS and Zone changes. He has stated that they have a concierge that will do everything for you but again that seems a bit 2007ish.
5. His employees are starting to answer questions randomly. The questions need to be answered but Richard needs to stick with the AMA and answer them. Not a bunch of employees
6. No deals on renewals. The only reason many people have stuck with Godaddy is a good rate on renewals. A few people have talked about higher rates after the first year. If you’re called NameCheap you better be cheap
7. The new trend is to give away privacy and one person complained they charge for it. It’s actually free the first year and costs after that. He responded by saying their privacy is more secure and will be changing the prices down to .99 cents. I think this part is good but he needs to put those things out there early before asked.
8. Calls Move Your Domain Day their biggest marketing push of the year. I think that says a lot. Probably could use more marketing besides a “Switch from Godaddy Day”
9. Says his favorite new gTLD is .online. Can’t be wrong on opinion 🙂
Those are just some of my opinions on the AMA. What are yours