Mary Meeker of Kleiner Perkins Caufield Byers annually puts out an Internet Trends report, and it’s always packed with data and insights.
Below, you can find a random mix of things that jumped out at me from the report (most of which are at least indirectly related to domain names), a 25 minute video presentation, and the slides from her report (213 of them!).
- Global internet penetration is still only 42% (slide 6)
- India passed the USA in the number of internet users, and grew at 40% year over year (7). Both countries pale in comparison to the 668 million internet users in China (166).
- While there is plenty of room for growth in internet users, new users will likely be coming from lower income areas or households (14)
- China’s “Gross Capital Formation” over the past 6 years was greater than the prior 30 years combined (24)
- Internet advertising growth year over year was 66% for mobile, but only 5% for desktop (43)
- Google and Facebook have an incredible 76% share of that advertising growth (44)
- Online ad effectiveness has significant room for improvement (47)
- Retail sales via the internet are growing rapidly, but are still only 10% of overall retail sales (60)
Additionally, for future trend domain investors, there are loads of emerging trends and technologies that are discussed throughout the report.