Here was one of the first posts I wrote 9 years ago. “10 Domaining Tips” . And the crazy part is a lot of it is still true. Some of it has aged pretty poorly though
1. Do you own due diligence. Experienced domainers don’t mind answering questions but 95% of what you need to know is already on the net. It takes time to go through it all but it is certainly out there. Before you take any action, do some homework and THEN do it. Yep, still true
2. Buy and sell dot coms. Develop other TLDs. You want to lose money in domaining? Buy the new tlds and you are on your way. Wish I would have followed my own advice. Saved me a ton on the .ws thing
3. Don’t burn your bridges. This is the case for all business people. Problems will arise, people will be asses, but letting them know exactly how you feel only makes YOU feel better. You’re going to learn something in everything you do. Even if it’s how NOT to do something. Many times I’ve looked back and realized I may have actually been the one at fault due to my lack of patience, experience, or knowledge and at the time I reacted incorrectly. Unless somebody’s taken your money the best thing is to just walk away, smile and say it’s best we end our business relationship. Been true for thousands of years
4. Finish one thing and move on. Biggest problem in domaining. Everyone is trying to scale. Even Rob at Epik will admit that he has to take a step back and finish what he’s started. What’s the good of having 20 things going on and all of them are done half way or half assed. Easier to say than do and didn’t see the conspiracy racist in Rob back then
5. If you bought the domain for $50, congratulations you have a $25 domain. Those that think a domain they recently purchased under $100 is worth more than the purchase price most likely are deceiving themselves.
6. When you develop a domain do it different. Use your content, your picture, your ideas. If you have any chance of getting it to the top of search engines you are going to need have different content. Google hates duplicate content so don’t duplicate. Good things take time and you’ll make more money with one original site than you will with 10 cut and paste sites.
7. Watch and learn. You want to learn? Watch Morgan Linton’s new daily show. You can ask any question you have and someone will answer it. If not on the show in the peanut gallery. Morgan threw a lot of darts over the years. Some worked, some didn’t. Nobody will ever be able to say he didn’t try things. Or that he hasn’t tried everything 🙂
8. Traffic dictates the value of your domain. Small number of uniques doesn’t necessarily mean it’s worthless but there is a bottom limit that is acceptable. With no development a domain needs to get at least 30 uniques a month to have decent value in my opinion. Even my 5 letter names that have no true meaning get at least this. There are billions of people in the world and you can’t get 30 uniques a month? Ahhh with development it will be worth something. Then you have a WEBSITE worth something, the name is still worth squat. Ha. Traffic
9. Get your name out there. You want to buy and sell domains? Meet others that do as well. Be known for something. Of course don’t be known for spamming comment sections but if you have a niche, let people know what that is and you’ll be surprised how many people will help you out. If there is a 5L or garden domain available somewhere my email is always full letting me know where they are. The community is a friendly community but you have to be a part. Help others find their niche names in return
10. Be timely. Answer your emails quickly. People really appreciate a quick response. The common excuse is “I get so many emails it takes me time to respond”. My response is, if that many people want to get in touch with you then it’s your job to get staff to respond to the inquiries. In all that junk mail are real people that want to give you money. Take it.
Here are today’s names. Make sure to click on the names to see the current price and to help DSAD keep on keeping on.
Domain of the Day: HomeLoanCenter.com Affiliate and lead gen super site ready and waiting
Quote of the Day:”Everyone you meet always asks if you have a career, are married, or own a house as if life was some kind of grocery list. But no one ever asks you if you are happy” -Heath Ledger
Namejet, Sedo, and other Names Up for Auction
FinanceStrategy.com 19 years old. $7 CPC for the term. Reserve is $1
Mups.com Met reserve and this amazing name is going to sell. Just kidding. I don’t own a single Mum
2895.com Love the name, not a fan of the reserve
EndResult.com What really matters. No reserve
SEMX.com 1996 domains. Another with no reserve
MarketGourmet.com Sounds like a frozen food but a great brand . 22 years old
HouseCleaners.com Might be worth the reserve. Pretty big name
SRWA.com Listed with no reserve. A for association
PrisonFood.com Worst cooking show ever……or maybe the most fun
Kooplo.com Kool looking brand with no bids
Presale.com First name to hit reserve in the Sedo auction
ZBO.com This one will make reserve 100% guaranteed
PYMP.com More Pie mp than Pimp but somebody likes it
Godaddy Domains With Multiple Bids
RatePoint.com This one on the other hand is being bid up for the backlinks
Tarpy.com It’s where I get all my tarps
JustANumber.com Age is and so is your ACT score
UnitedStatesNews.com If you don’t buy it the Russians will and they’ll set up a fake news site. So do your civil duty and buy it
CryptoPoint.com This name is on point
Wojie.com It’s a nice 5L but these prices are starting to get pretty high. A big ramp up in the good pronounceables over the last year
Isria.com Same here but some history and backlinks to help boost problem
379000.com Per usual, one of the top names is a good round numeric
OCXC.com There was a period of time I was buying LLLL.com that ended in XC for Cross Country. It paid off well during the Chinese LLLL.com invasion when I sold most of them
SiteApps.com I see this more for a builder of apps than a directory. Of course I hate directory names so anything but
EasyHtml.com 21 year old name. From back when people asked if you knew HTML. Haven’t heard that in a decade
InterShield.com Sounds like a company in a Super Hero movie
GoHaul.com When you don’t want to buy a UHaul franchise
BambooShoots.com Millions of people eat them
Selectex.com Exudes that someone already selected the very best. Probably didn’t but as long as customers think it
Tembra.com means nothing to me but sounds like a nice brand
TheGreenLife.org You’ll know they’re living the green life because they’ll tell you right out of the gate
WindsorClub.com Every town has a Windsor Club
Godaddy Domains With One Or No Bids
HikeTheWest.com Marketing name for hiking or travel company
GoldCoach.com Sounds like a luxurious brand
Knoweth.com Classy, old fashioned, source of info
CheapBackup.com Because security shouldn’t cost too much
AdultMovies.org Doesn’t sound as dirty when you say it this way
FullYolo.com Says it all. Living the You Only Live Once lifestyle
Jarba.com 5L with no bids
ExtraLane.com Exudes the fast lane. More room
The Rest of the Godaddy Names With Bids
QEIP.com has one of the best domain sales newsletters in the biz. Also taking listings of high quality
4 Replies to “Domain Shane’s Daily List of Domains at Auction for Friday April 19th, 2019”
Great list of tips… hindsight shows you knew what you were talking about 🙂
Has held up very well almost a decade later- good stuff. Could not help but think of Moops when I saw Mups- classic Seinfeld episode!
Haha – Moops. I saw an article yesterday saying that they may have found a cure for the “Bubble Boy” disease.
Hey Shane, The link for SRWA.com points to SWRA.com which is not up for auction at this time.
Comments are closed.