There’s plenty of big boys in this biz that have incredible names but can they compete with bottom of the barrel names that the rest of us have. I’m talking names that are so bad that they get 0 type-ins per year and in 20 years will have the same amount of type-ins. Names that you paid way too much money and the stories behind them. Here are 10 ways I’ve acquired shitty names
1. Drunk domaining. I’m having a few beers, sitting on the computer and the world’s greatest idea comes to mind. It’s probably the 400th greatest idea I’ve had that day but with a little beer it quickly moves up the charts and becomes top dog. I find a domain that matches and I register it. Two months later, I haven’t done a damn thing with it and there it sits
2. Wrong letter. As crazy as it seems (and it may have to a little to do with the above). I bought a domain that I thought was a great deal and I realize the l is actually and”i”. One time is was M vs N. It’s only happened twice but it was twice too many. Fortunately I bought them cheap, now I know why
3. Came with the package. I’ve purchased a few groups of domains and amongst those domains are some horrible ones. Names that they threw in just to get rid of them and clutter up my portfolio. The names would have been good if I could use them in Scrabble but not so good anywhere else
4. Got caught up in the CPC. The dollar signs of the CPC made me star struck and I have purchased some really really longtail keyword domains. It’s one of those, on paper it works but in the real world it’s just another crappy domain
5. Caught the wrong end of a trend. “Four L dot Nets Are Going to Soar!!!!!!!” was the talk in ’08. The 4Ls were sold out and everyone was turning and burning, next up 4L dot nets. Pssssssssssssssssssssss, hear that? That’s the bubble bursting on my 4L dot nets. I really didn’t own too many but it certainly boosted my bad domains portfolio.
6. Bought something I knew nothing about. One of the surest ways to get a terrible domain is to start buying in niches you know nothing about. I bought PANCREATITISCANCER.Com at an auction and although it is not my worst name by far it is so off my “what I know” chart that I have just let it sit there to die a slow death.
7. I thought it was funny. I love creative, funny names. Unfortunately, most of them were only funny for about 15 minutes after I registered them. Now they’re only funny because I was stupid enough to register them. Although I still like lazystripper.com
And yours? I’d love to hear the funny stories and bad domains