Ethan came out firing in the comment section of the article I wrote yesterday about the sales over at Domain Name Sales. In a nutshell, he was tired of bloggers always talking about the big sales and not providing enough information about what it takes to get to the big payday. As he cooled down he did something that very few people do. He ended his comments with positivity and advice. Rather than just fire at will he tried to answer with solutions. Here is the post
So as not to end in a negative tone, stating problems but no solution…
…If I can give people an unsolicited advice on what you can do off your domain portfolio. Here’s an idea to start you with:
1. If you already have experience on an industry (and/or sites that are already aged in the vertical), start there. Be it DUI lawyer lead gen, real estate site, insurance, affiliates, etc
(*Get an Exact Match Name. Even if it’s not a dot com as long as its a really good name.)
2. FOCUS on one industry. See if there’s economic incentive on the idea… And double down if you find that you are in the right track.
3. Focus on one site even though you have hundreds of domains…(build mini wordpress sites on the other 10 promising sites)
4. Even if you spend 100 hours getting to know the industry..that’s time well spent.
* Off the start avoid delagating. Learn it yourself so cash allocation is more precise.
5. Hire early. Or work doubly hard. Invest in SEO education.
6. Re-invest profits.
It’s simple advice but very very good. A post could be done on each of those pieces individually. As I stated before, it was so nice to have a person come in with such emotion finish it out with intelligent thought and advice rather than name calling. Although he did a little of that on the way to the finish. If you want to see what Ethan does with his sites here is one example Lake Tahoe Real Estate
PS I don’t agree with the opinion of Braden and I feel comfortable his feelings would change with a one on one conversation.