Recently I started getting curious. What would I see if I set up a catch all email account for a bunch of my domains? If you don’t know what a catch all is, it’s that little button that says “have this email catch all emails” . When you click on it, any email that doesn’t have it’s own individual email but shares that domain, goes to you. That means if you have [email protected] and somebody emails something to [email protected] and you don’t have an email set up for that then you will get it. It opens up a world of interesting emails. After opening up 15 emails, here are some of the things that I keep finding.
1. Email and site password resets. I could go a few times a week and reset passwords in people’s sites and even emails. At some point they either had my domain as email or typed it in wrong. Whatever the reason, I am getting the confirm your account or email reset emails. At any point I can follow and reset the passwords to my liking. I haven’t but I have followed to see how easy it would be and it’s a clear path.
2. Wikipedia verifications. I get a few a week for iknoweverything.com Evidently people like to use this for wikipedia signups
3. Spam, Spam, and more spam. It just further proves that there is no rhyme or reason to the spammers list. They send billions out and hope that people have set up a catchall. I have won a ton of lotteries since I set up the emails.
4. Personal emails: I’m sure if the senders knew that an outsider was reading the emails they would be a little embarrassed. I’m sure Kim would be a bit rosy cheeked if she knew that I saw that Jim “is hairy as a gorilla down there”. I have been invited to reunions, asked for a friends email even though she had this friends’ email wrong, and questioned what my daughter wanted for Christmas this year. I was thinking of answering some back as a joke but I didn’t want to go down that road.
5. Business emails: The one domain that I would consider a typo is close to the name of a film production company. The emails I get are usually technical and pretty worthless but every once in a while I get a good one. I even got one that had the name of a movie that at that point had not been announced. I know because I googled it and got nothing. Went to IMDB and figured the working title had been changed. The announcement came out later but it was kind of fun knowing something that most people didn’t.
If you have a little time to blow and want some entertainment, pick a few of your domains that are typos or any name for that matter and see what comes in. If you are with Godaddy they give you one free email per domain so it makes it real easy to set up a catchall. If you get any juicy stuff let me know.