This week was the first of many busy weeks to come for me in the plant selling world but as I sit down this evening I have a few questions. Questions I am too lazy to seek the answers so I’ll just release them to the world and hope somebody chimes in and answers.
1. What happened to Morgan Linton? During the winter he was everywhere. Every other day he was introducing some new site and being added to some consortium of domain investment professionals. Was he kidnapped? Did his employer tell him to get back to work? I know there’s a vault with 200 hours of interviews somewhere in California and my wife misses hearing “the voice” on his weekly video show. I can’t keep watching the past episodes. I’ve seen them 50 times each.
2. Why do people think it’s Ok to promote themselves or their domains in the comments of other people’s blog or site? Not only is it rude but it’s lazy. People pay good money to advertise on these sites and yet so many people feel comfortable saying. “by the way, I have abcdoioj.com for sale” Everyone once in a while it’s OK if it’s relative to the topic, but there are so many people that want to make it in this business yet are just too damn lazy to be successful. Either buck up and pay to promote your domains or start your own site. (advertising space still available on my site)
3. Is it just me or are dot orgs rising in value and dot nets falling? They seem to be converging. When somebody asked Michael Berkens how he valued the “big three” he said dot com, dot org, dot net. I have agreed ever since. And yes, there are exceptions based on domain.
4. Is anyone else noticing that Sedo’s daily auctions are looking more like Bido’s every day? They are still selling a ton of great domains through their private offers but they hardly ever come through the auction side. Either I am getting pickier or the names are getting worse. I’ve also decided to call it SEE DOUGH regardless of how it’s supposed to be pronounced. If everyone I talk to would please pronounce it that way to make me feel comfortable , I would appreciate it.
5. Do I have this order correct? Build a business plan…..find a domain that gives your company the most bang for your buck. Too many domainers seem to buy a domain and then build a business around it. Businesses they have no damn clue about. Backasswords.
6. Why do BullS and Big Lie Society torment the domain investing community with their mindless babble and worthless commentary? I have been blogging for 10 years and I have yet to see two lurkers shit all over industry blogs as much as those two. Someone please write a program that will block every comment those two write at every site I visit.
7. Anyone else shudder every time you see a company advertisement, flyer, or business card that has this? Visit johnshomebuilder.com or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. They already own the domain, somebody set these poor people up with their email. It’s like taking a hot girl hot girl home from the bar, getting her naked, and then painting her nails. They’re so close.
8. Are articles written that have no comments like a hitting a hole in one by yourself? It’s a great event that you care about but since nobody is there, it’s meaningless. Granted, if you write a lot there are bound to be some articles that don’t have any commentary. The value of a blog is reflected in the commentary not the visits. I’ll take two visitors that care enough to comment over 100 that come and go. And no, 5 retweets doesn’t equal a comment.
9. Why is domain investing such a sausagefest? Sure the guys have beautiful girlfriends and wives but we need more ladies. It was nice to see the ladies get together at DomainFest and they were an intelligent and beautiful group. I’d like to see more. I guess trading was the same way but I must admit the women traders were hot. I’m not sure if they were necessarily physically hot but there is nothing sexier than watching a women make big money.
10. I’m short a player for my All-Star domaining basketball team. Any suggestions on my last pick up? I’m thinking Ron Wells (super power forward and brother played pro ball if I remember correctly) , David Reiff (center) , Jason Thompson (point guard) , me (shooting guard).